Always makes me smile :]

Thursday, July 10, 2008

Thing # 15- What in the world is a wiki?



First, check out this website. It has some cool ideas for incorporating wikis into education. The site as a whole is interesting and informative. Check it out :]!

I had learned the term "wiki" before reading to this lesson, and a had some preconceived "bad" feelings about it. My daughter, who attends Texas A&M, has been given many projects where the instructors preface the assignment by saying "no information from a wiki is valid." Now that I have explored a wiki for myself, however, I see that it can be helpful to get other people's input...After all, aren't two heads better that one? I guess I always thought it was just an online dictionary where one could only alter definitions. Now I know it has many more uses...

Wikis can be used for planning, creating ideas, brainstorming, editing, and so on...Basically, everything a teacher does during a daily routine. It helps move things along, so one is not waiting for a response email. So much information gets lost in translation, but with this program, it is all right there. One can even view previous entries if he forgets something that seemed valuable or informative.

I enjoyed the concept of everything being in one place. It seems like many of these lessons have been about efficiency. How to get the most work done in one place, eliminating the "back-and-forth" of it all. How could I argue with that?

Image courtasy of www.ikiw.org.

1 comment:

Debbie said...

Great information on the website. It is a great way to post communications to parents and be able to change it so easily. You don't always have to let others edit your wiki.