Always makes me smile :]

Sunday, July 13, 2008

Thing #18- Explore social networking



My Link
YES! I am so glad facebook made it as one of the "things" we are exploring. My kids are constantly referring to this site, posting pictures, and communicating with other people.I am proud to say that I have now jumped on the bandwagon myself. I was surprised to see how many other adults have also created accounts. I remember back before 2006 when my daughter first heard about this site. Back then, though, it was only for college students. I enlisted my daughter to tutor me on this program and almost feel like a pro now.

I prefer facebook to myspace hands down. Myspace is no longer just people, but stores, music groups, companies...With all of that going on, I received alot of spam. Facebook, on the other hand, does not send me adds, promotions, and things of that nature. It is simply messages from the people I have added to my "friends" list.

It is important for educators to know about social networking because it is a link to today's youth. It is their pastime, and not knowing about that, can mean you really don't know about them. To be relevant in what is going on, one must be aware of what is popular to the age group he is working with. Other than that,it is a ton of fun! It is a fast way to communicate with those one cannot see on a daily basis.
picture by http://libizblog.files.wordpress.com/2007/10/facebook.jpg

1 comment:

blogger said...

I also think we, as educators, need to be aware of and familiar with social networking sites such as Facebook and, in fact, I've heard many teachers say they have a Facebook account as a way to reach students. I'm anxious to explore ways I can use it in my library as an outreach of some sort.